ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Question to WG on RAA

  • To: "'stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx'" <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Question to WG on RAA
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:27:26 -0400

Stephane - your assertion that there is no policy is wrong. In fact, the one
element each of the flawed economic reports does get right is reiterating the
existing policy.

Also, if you think any unsponsored registry (other than .pro) had a choice in
negotiating any part of the VI policy (other than minor tweaks to the
language), that too is incorrect. In fact, I believe the words that were used
were something to the effect of ""if you want to change this language, there
will be no .biz.". Even Richard Tindal, who was a part of those discussions
when he was with Neustar, can attest to that.

And to be more direct - existing registries that want to be new tld registries
would have to agree to the new agreements for those new tlds. But we need to
allow the existing registries to be in a position to do that ata minimum, which
would fall under the question below stating allowing Neustar to be a registry
for new tlds with same provisions applicable to new tlds on vI (which would
requre a change to the existing .biz agreement).

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx