ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] So, what's best for consumers? Anyone? Bueller?

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] So, what's best for consumers? Anyone? Bueller?
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:59:16 -0400

I'm getting very concerned about how this discussion is going, and I'm
surprised that it would be left to me to point this out.  I should have thought
that one of those people who are forever making fine statements in public about
protecting the consumer would have stuck their head up above the parapet by now
to call this what it is.

Judging from the discussion to date, one would think that it's OK, as a
supposed policy-making body, for us to come up with all sorts of
classifications and special pleading -- just so long as no-one  worries about
the effect to consumers.   Since I joined this group, there's been hardly a
word about the consumer.  It's been bare-faced haggling about who gets a
commercial advantage.

Consider:

-- Single-registrant TLDs have been trotted out as a special case which get
should get special favorable rules.  Leaving aside the fact that
"single-registrant" is an egregious misnomer, since even within a
"company-only" TLD there will be numerous registrants, the special treatment
being considered is for the benefit of the applicant, not for the user.

-- Currently, the argument is being made that existing gTLD registries, with a
ten-year head start over other applicants, should get a "level playing field"
vis-a-vis those applicants who don't have ten years of revenues to spend on
whatever they want -- for instance, buying up a bunch of registrars.  Maybe
they should, but what has this got to do with the end user?

The CRA report makes a case that no separation is best for the consumer.  The
Board decision in Nairobi has as its underpinning an assumption that complete
separation is best.  Think what you will of these two poles, at least they make
a stab at protecting the interest of the end user.  We need to do the same.
All this hooey about how it's not fair that one group gets to do this, while
the other group doesn't, advances us not an inch toward a recommendation that
will stand any kind of scrutiny.   It will be seen for what it has been so far,
an accommodation between rival commercial interests, nothing but a pie-slicing
contest.

If this group doesn't make at least a defensible attempt to develop policy from
the perspective of the consumer, its work is highly suspect and, given the
preponderance of registrars and registries participating, possibly
anti-competitive.

We can do better than this.  First, let's ask the right questions.

I'll take a stab at it:  what the end user wants is:

- cheap prices
- good choice of names
- good service
- portability
- perpetual right of renewal at a predictable price.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like it to me.    So which vertical
integration/separation policy gets us closest to that?

Antony