ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI Use Case Template,

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI Use Case Template,
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 15:31:05 -0400

On 4 Apr 2010, at 15:16, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> as this discussion isn't about some
> VI use case template, but about whether we agree to respect
> collaborators' concerns that some "example(s)" distract, or reduce
> mutual intelligibility, more then they illuminate. If not, then we
> have schismatic views and ensembles of private truths, which will make
> policy formation less certain.

pardon what i am sure is a simplistic understanding of what you are talking
about.  it is the best i can do.

but isn't our example-solipsism the reason we need a diversity of examples?
so that we have an example set where there are examples that are intelligible
to all?

though i personally believe that most of us understand each other's examples,
it is just that politically we can't admit to ourselves that we understand them
because then we would have to admit to 'seeing' that the other person's point
of view is indeed intelligible even if not something was can agree with.

a.