ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 19:57:47 -0400

On 4/5/10 6:19 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Anyway, we do have one announcement by a major brand (.canon) so the idea
> that this is a solution in search of a problem is clearly wrong.

And Hewlett-Packard wants "HP".

We're discussing policy making, with some unknowns ... When, in what
year, will applications be accepted? When will there be a "next"
application window? Are we making policy recommendations for the next
decade, or for the next four fiscal quarters? ...

Given that, paying as much attention to momentary events as we pay to
a decade of patient endurance by others is a peculiar choice.

HP's not going to get a country code. If they really want one, they
can go out and buy a country like everybody else and get it renamed
and the iso3166/MA will be happy to oblige. Is Cannon going to get a
SR because they just decided they want one, and on their terms? If so,
what does consensual, bottom-up, stakeholder process really mean?

Eric