ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Off topic

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Off topic
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:12:50 +0200

Folks,
With my co-chair hat on, I would like to make a few comments on the subject
of a large chunk of the messages on this list in the last hours.
I do not want to pass judgement on whether a sentence of this or that
contributor to the mailing list has been or not within the limit of civil
discourse, but I want nevertheless strongly support Mikey's call for "a
slightly lower level of confrontation".
We are an exceptionally large WG, with an exceptionally difficult task to be
carried on within exceptionally short timeframes: to me that means that we
all need to make an exceptional effort. To discuss and argue about terms
used, motives behind statements, threats in places outside the ICANN
community, is distracting from our main focus, which is to accomplish our
objectives within the timeframe. We must stay tuned on the matter of
vertical integration, and to find a rational way to achieve a compromise.
There is a borderline that separates civil discourse from unacceptable
behaviour. Unfortunately, this line is not clearly defined, and depends very
much from cultures and environments. Speaking about myself, being
mediterranean, I tend to have a higher tolerance for language, but I
appreciate that we are not all like that. So, my plea is to stay well clear
from what we think is the borderline, simply because other people in the
team might have a different appreciation on where the borderline lies.
We are all intelligent people. I strongly believe we are all here because we
want to participate to the building of a solution. Obviously, all of us with
our reasons and motives, as well as our behavioural styles and culture. But
we all, at least this is what I strongly believe, have as the main target to
reach a solution, not to show off how dangerously close we can walk to the
borderline. And if to get close to the borderline, even if we believe we are
(according to our culture and judgement) within the limits, puts the common
achievement at risk, please take a step back, thinking that exceptional
circumstances need an exceptional effort (and also some sacrifice of our
personal egos for the common good).
I labeled my message as "off topic". I wrote it reluctantly, and only
because I feel that as co-chair I have to make a firm statement. But I also
strongly believe that all messages that either raise the tone at the risk of
causing reactions, or the messages that argue on who is right or wrong in
the civil discourse divide, are moving us all away from success, and are
therefore definitively "off topic" for a team that has a very difficult task
and a very short time to achieve it.
I am sure that we all can focus again on the matter at hand, and forget this
isolated accident.
Best regards,
Roberto