ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Re: SRSU versus SRMU

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: SRSU versus SRMU
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:00:44 +1000

Hi Avri,

Fair question.   In public comment periods I've seen the complete range of
opinion (I'm talking here about commentators who appeared to be unaligned with
registries and registrars).     Some comments favored unlimited cross ownership
and some proposed strict limits (to prevent concerns of predatory registry
behavior).    There wasn't a consensus in those comments -- which is why we're
all here of course.

I haven't seen comments advocating full vertical integration in the sense we're
now using it --  a registry entity that itself operates as the sole registrar.
This may be due to confusion over terminology, or it may be that people
interpreted GNSO Guideline 19 as saying such a model wasn't permitted
('Registries must use only ICANN accredited registrars in registering domain
names and may not discriminate among such accredited registrars'.)

I think it would be useful to narrow down the area where there's disagreement
over Single Registrant TLDs - because I think there's agreement on much of it.
 It seems to me there's broad agreement on the notion of Single Registrant
Single User (SRSU) TLDs.  This is where the registry entity is not only
registrant for all second level names but also the sole user and operator of
those names.   An example might be CraigList registering  seattle.Craiglist,
furniture.craigslist,  faqs.craigslist,  etc.   In all cases Craigslist Inc. is
the sole registrant and sole user of the names.  I think we're all pretty much
agreeing that Craiglist should be able to:  (i) become registrar accredited (as
well as registry accredited), (ii) prevent access by other registrars, and,
(iii)  not pay the $0.17 per name registrar fee (on this last one we may not
have complete agreement - but I'm OK with it).

Where we're disagreeing,  as Tim said on yesterday's call, is when there are
multiple users of the second level names.  I'm going to call this the Single
Registrant Multiple Users (SRMU) model.  When the registry entity is offering
second level names to other parties, including employees,  members and
affiliates, there are some of us who think the registry is now more like any
other gTLD.  If Craiglist offers its members web addresses like
richardtindal.craigslist as a place to buy and sell products I think they're
now competing with a new TLD like .EXCHANGE.    At a minimum I think Craigslist
should be paying the ICANN per/ name registrar fee in this scenario.

I understand the scenario you're concerned about  is even more specific.
You're most focused on a non-profit, public good SRMU registry that wants to
give free names to members, affiliates etc.    I just don't know how we create
fee and access rules (that are fair and practical) based on a registry's
virtuousness.   The solution to this may be tied into the Nairobi Board
resolution regarding 'Support to Applicants Requiring Assistance'.  The WG
emerging from that Resolution will be looking at ways to support certain TLDs
that cannot afford the $185K application fee,  the annual  registry/ registrar
fees, or the technical costs of operating a TLD.  Perhaps the best solution to
a non profit SRMU TLD will be found in that WG.

RT