ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Re: SRSU versus SRMU

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: SRSU versus SRMU
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:19:12 -0400

Hi,

Thanks for the message.

>From what you say I feel safe in my conclusion that we really have no
>indication either way for the decision to move away from Zero Cross Ownership
>(0CO) policy at this point.

On the SRSU vs. SRMU are you saying it all boils down to what one does with the
second level?  So if the community cultural/linguistic (CCL) TLD inserts second
level called member.ccl  or support.ccl there would be no issue with creating
all the names it wants at the third level.  While this might be an acceptable
workaround if it was absolutely necessary, I am not sure it makes a lot of
sense and seems a little superfluous.

Also I am sure a criteria such as 'virtuousness' cannot be dealt with and tend
to see such suggestions as straw dogs.  Normally when such a criteria is
suggested in reference to an NGO, charity or other non profit, it is
immediately followed by a dismissal, derision, or a suggestion to shunt it off
to some other 'worthy' effort - like the 'Support to Applicants Requiring
Assistance'.   I think if we are going to be serious about supporting all needs
and not just some of the more prominent needs in this group, we need to find a
criteria -  like perhaps non transferability - that applies equally well to
commercial and non commercial SR TLDs.

a.