ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: "'richardtindal@xxxxxx'" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 01:22:44 -0400

I think there is a little bit more to the debate.  One of the issues is with
the single registrant whether there is any need for the registry or registrar
functionality at all.  In other words, is there a need to have a separation of
the registry/registrar functionality?  Is there a need for an SRS (shared
registration system) at the registry level? Is there nothing more than pure
DNS? Why go through the charade of having to set criteria for registrars that
no one other than the registry itself could meet?

So if there is no true concept of a registrar, then is ownership an actual
issue?

Let me explain....

An organization (commercial or noncommercial or nongovernmental) could
establish a SR TLD whereby it owns all of the names and allows others to use
those names, but there is no concept of having others" register" names.  For
example, what if the International olympic committee wanted .olympic and they
only had 200 registrations (1 for each country's olympic committee...i.e.,
USOC.olympic (for the US Olympic Committee). In that case, you could have one
person at the International Olympic Committee enter all of the relevant
information into a database (notice I didn't use the word registry database).
There is no SRS or WHOIS functionality per se normally thought of as a
registry, and no real registrar functionality of going through a EPP
registration process.  There is no value add of having to go through an entity
we today call a registrar.

This is a made up example, but I think is very real and in some ways similar to
what I have heard .post is today.  I don't have any inside information for
.post, but as I understand the application from years ago, .post may want to
give the second level registrations to the national post offices to use as they
see fit.  The charade of having to select registrars because of legacy
requirements just makes no sense.  There is no real concept of a registrar in
that sense nor any value add of requiring the ultimate recipient of the .post (
the national post offices) to have to select a registrar.  There is no need for
the complexity of setting up a shared registration system at the registry level
either.

I see traditional brand tlds the same way and very real. Although no Brand TLDs
may have filed public comments, let me tell you we have talked to some and this
is a very real example (though I made up the olympic example).

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx