ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: "'vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 15:59:30 -0400

The disadvantage is having to rely on a third party (a registrar) which can
undermine the security and stability of the space.  What I am saying is that
the onlympic committee can do the dns function in house if it chose to.  Why
should they be forced to even consider a third party to do "registrations".
The mere fact of using a third party that essentially could have the right to
make changes to its registration system may not be one that the entity even
wants to take on.  That is the reason some organizations run their own dns in
the first place (because they may not want to outsource the functionality).

Think of the .post example.  Does the UPU want to force all national pst
offices to have to use a third party registrar for the simple act of data entry
when that third party registrar could have the power to delete a registration,
change the name servers, etc. Thereby bringing down the entire postal system in
that nation.  Maybe they do trust a third party to that or maybe they donw.  My
point is that they should actually have a choice.
Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx