ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

• To: "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:17:32 +0200

As far as I understood the vertically integrated single owner single user concept, there is no consumer who could benefit as all domains would be owner by the registry, so consumer interest does not directly figure into the equasion. Please correct me if I misunderstood the concept. Many of the security systems will have to be implemented anyway regardless if the registry is providing registration services itself or not to prevent abuse or accidental mishandling.

In the end, we may very well end up with a system you are describing, but only as an exception. I agree there may be scenarios where total VI without the use of registrars _may_ be possible and make sense, but this will in all likelyhood not be the general system. Allowing all nGTLD applicants to bypass the registrar system would effectively lead us back to the domain business we had a decade ago, which is IMHO definitely not in the interest of the consumer. Lets first work out if and under which circumstances VI and CO may be possible within the framework of the current system (i.e. registries and registrars with seperate functions) before we start to discuss exceptions to the general system.

Nevertheless, I support VI and CO to remain on the table as viable options.

So what you are saying is that in order to maintain the cherade of having 
registrars in a SR TLD (even without any consumer benefit), registries should 
be forced to build in extra protections and make their systems much more 
complicated than today. And I am not even talking about a real registry like we 
have today.  In other words, simply to perform data entry into a registry that 
does not even need an SRS function, you will require .post or a SR TLD to build 
an expensive SRS and these extra locks simply to have registrars, but for no 
consumer benefit?

That does not make sense to me.
Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message -----
From: owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx <owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx' <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri Apr 09 06:19:26 2010
Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

I do not agree on the dangers you propose in the .post example. A deletion could be prevented by the registry technically or by policy, for example by not allowing registrars to delete immediately, and imposing a pre-deletion phase instead, where the domain remains active but the registrant must choose a new registrar. Preventing changes can be prevented by registry locks which must be lifted by the registrant directly before changes can take place.

I do agree that of course the IOC or any other registry _can_ do all necessary functions in house. It will probably be easier and more comfortable for them. Their registration policies will likely hold many of these functions in house. However, how do you differentiate such possibly legitimate registries from others that will claim the same perogative for themselves, but will only use this as a loophole. Why should .web, .shop, .youcanprobablythinkofmanymoreexamples not also be allowed to set up a similar membership scheme that will allow them to bypass registrars entirely, if other gTLD registries are allowed to use such a model? Why should established registries in this scenario still be forced to continue using registrars, if nGTLD registries are freed from this requirement?

I am not proposing not to have VI registries, however I do think that if we decide to propose such a system to the board, we should be clear about the consequences such integration may have, and find ways to prevent a circumvention of the current system, which in the past decade has proven to be an effective and good system. I do believe we will end up with some form of VI, but only as an exception, not the rule. Given the limited time available, I do suggest to first define the rule, and leave the exceptions for later.

The disadvantage is having to rely on a third party (a registrar) which can undermine the 
security and stability of the space.  What I am saying is that the onlympic committee can 
do the dns function in house if it chose to.  Why should they be forced to even consider 
a third party to do "registrations".  The mere fact of using a third party that 
essentially could have the right to make changes to its registration system may not be 
one that the entity even wants to take on.  That is the reason some organizations run 
their own dns in the first place (because they may not want to outsource the 
functionality).

Think of the .post example.  Does the UPU want to force all national pst 
offices to have to use a third party registrar for the simple act of data entry 
when that third party registrar could have the power to delete a registration, 
change the name servers, etc. Thereby bringing down the entire postal system in 
that nation.  Maybe they do trust a third party to that or maybe they donw.  My 
point is that they should actually have a choice.
Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
NeuStar, Inc.
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: 'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx' <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu Apr 08 06:00:07 2010
Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

Jeff, I see your point but let me ask one question here:

What is the operative disadvantage of maintaining the registry-registrar-system even in such cases? The same goals could easily be accomplished by using the registry-registrar-registrant model the following way:

The IOC applies for .olympic, and limits the ability to register certain domain names domain names to NOCs, organizing cities and the official sponsors only, while at the same time reserving other domains for their own use in their policy, just as any registry does today. The list of reserved domain names would of course be longer. The delegated domains are registered by applicable registrants through their registrar of choice while the reserved domain names must be used by the IOC directly.

The only change would be that the NOCs would be the actual registrants of the delagated domains, not the IOC. The IOC would retain the right to vet any application; domains would only be activated after such approval is granted by the registry. A similar model has just been imposed in .CN. I think .museum operates a similar system as well. While it makes registrations more complicated and increases registry control, this effect would be desirable to the registry owner of a .brand or .ngo.

There is no actual need to eliminate the registrar in such a model as the same goals can be reached with the current system.

Now the second question that arises in this scenario is of course if the registry should be allowed to operated a registrar of its own. I would think that many registrars would be hesitant to even consider implementing .olympic into their system even if given equal opportunity to do so due to the low number of total registrations to be expected compared to the cost of implementation and maintaining registry relations. This ties in directly with one of the earlier suggestions in the discussions of VI and CO, where VI and CO would be permitted, under the condition that the VI/CO-registrar be limited in the number of domains it may register in total.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann

Key-Systems GmbH

An organization (commercial or noncommercial or nongovernmental) could establish a SR TLD 
whereby it owns all of the names and allows others to use those names, but there is no 
concept of having others" register" names.  For example, what if the 
International olympic committee wanted .olympic and they only had 200 registrations (1 
for each country's olympic committee...i.e., USOC.olympic (for the US Olympic Committee). 
In that case, you could have one person at the International Olympic Committee enter all 
of the relevant information into a database (notice I didn't use the word registry 
database).  There is no SRS or WHOIS functionality per se normally thought of as a 
registry, and no real registrar functionality of going through a EPP registration 
process.  There is no value add of having to go through an entity we today call a 
registrar.

This is a made up example, but I think is very real and in some ways similar to what I have heard .post is today. I don't have any inside information for .post, but as I understand the application from years ago, .post may want to give the second level registrations to the national post offices to use as they see fit. The charade of having to select registrars because of legacy requirements just makes no sense. There is no real concept of a registrar in that sense nor any value add of requiring the ultimate recipient of the .post ( the national post offices) to have to select a registrar. There is no need for the complexity of setting up a shared registration system at the registry level either.
I see traditional brand tlds the same way and very real. Although no Brand TLDs 
may have filed public comments, let me tell you we have talked to some and this 
is a very real example (though I made up the olympic example).

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
NeuStar, Inc.
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed Apr 07 22:50:56 2010
Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

All,

We may be getting a little wrapped around the axle on this topic (this is no-one's fault as it's complex) so I'd like to take a shot at summarizing where it stands.
We're not debating whether or not Single Registrant (SR) TLDs should be 
allowed.   They are allowed  -- and have been allowed from the first version of 
the DAG.      Any registry can register names just to itself and no registry is 
required to provide open access to registrars.

Also, no rule we devise will prevent SR TLDs. We're making rules about who can own registries and registrars, not about who can own domains. An SR TLD can exist if we recommend zero cross ownership and it can exist if we recommend 100% cross ownership. What we're debating is whether or not, in order to register its names, an SR TLD registry must be accredited as a registrar (and, importantly, pay the fees that accompany that registrar accreditation). This is the area of contention.
If anyone feels I've mischaracterized the issue please jump in.

Also, I agree with the argument Volker made yesterday.    I think we should 
first see if we can find a rule-set that suits all types of registries.  This 
may be possible.   If we find the overall rule-set doesn't suit a particular 
registry-type then we can drill down on exception cases.

RT

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
66482 Zweibrücken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 85
Fax.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 61
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede 
Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist 
unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per 
E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

--------------------------------------------

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
DE-66482 Zweibruecken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 85
Fax.: +49 (0) 6332 - 79 18 61
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is 
addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this 
email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an 
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the 
author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy