ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:17:32 +0200

As far as I understood the vertically integrated single owner single user concept, there is no consumer who could benefit as all domains would be owner by the registry, so consumer interest does not directly figure into the equasion. Please correct me if I misunderstood the concept. Many of the security systems will have to be implemented anyway regardless if the registry is providing registration services itself or not to prevent abuse or accidental mishandling.

In the end, we may very well end up with a system you are describing, but only as an exception. I agree there may be scenarios where total VI without the use of registrars _may_ be possible and make sense, but this will in all likelyhood not be the general system. Allowing all nGTLD applicants to bypass the registrar system would effectively lead us back to the domain business we had a decade ago, which is IMHO definitely not in the interest of the consumer. Lets first work out if and under which circumstances VI and CO may be possible within the framework of the current system (i.e. registries and registrars with seperate functions) before we start to discuss exceptions to the general system.

Nevertheless, I support VI and CO to remain on the table as viable options.

So what you are saying is that in order to maintain the cherade of having
registrars in a SR TLD (even without any consumer benefit), registries should
be forced to build in extra protections and make their systems much more
complicated than today. And I am not even talking about a real registry like we
have today.  In other words, simply to perform data entry into a registry that
does not even need an SRS function, you will require .post or a SR TLD to build
an expensive SRS and these extra locks simply to have registrars, but for no
consumer benefit?

That does not make sense to me.
Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy