ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: "'vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:28:03 -0400

Just a minor correction. Major brands and corporations - or even small
organizations - who might become SRs are, at present, "consumers" of domain
name registration services from registries and registrars. SR allows consumers
to become self-producers. That is a MAJOR consumer benefit; it has proven to be
so in the world of private networking in telecoms. Imagine if you were forced
to buy your LAN or WAN service from the telephone company. In many cases, the
local telco or ISP may be the best provider for you, but if it is not you have
the option to self-provide. The decision to in-source or outsource is a vital
thing for consumers of DNS services.