ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] poll - Too early to ask these questions

  • To: "gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] poll - Too early to ask these questions
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:00:31 -0400

Mikey,

Although I appreciate the notion of taking polls, I just have the feeling that
it is WAY too early to ask the questions that you have on Poll #1.  Very few of
us understand the implications of each of the proposals enough to be able to
comment on whether we support or oppose a particular proposal much less whether
we can fill in the comment sections on any revisions that we would propose to
that particular proposal.  I thought we were going to form sub-teams to look at
the proposals to discuss the pros and cons of each of the proposals in order to
potentially come up with some sort of hybrid or consensus driven proposal (if
possible).

In addition, there is nothing in the survey that asks the responder to declare
its interests (namely, (a) to check all that apply....gTLD Registry, gTLD
Registrar, New TLD Applicant, New TLD back-end Registry Services Provider,
etc., and (b) are you in favor of integration or separation....).  I just think
that coming out of this survey saying x number of people support this proposal
without the essential context is going to be misleading especially with this
group being so stacked with New TLD applicants, registries, registry services
providers and registrars).

I would strongly ask that we withdraw this survey for this week in favor of
proceeding as initially proposed.

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Neuman
46000 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.5772  Mobile: +1.202.549.5079  Fax: +1.703.738.7965 /
jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx>  /
www.neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz/>
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.