ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] poll - Too early to ask these questions

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] poll - Too early to ask these questions
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:19:43 -0500

hi all,

thanks for all the active thinking about the poll.  sorry if i caused great
consternation.  i just got back from a lovely all-day hike in the Smoky
Mountains, so people shouldn't read anything complicated into my sluggish reply.

here's a comment from Mikey's traditional viewpoint that the glass is half full:

- regarding the issue of timing.  this is just a mechanism to determine where
we're at on the path towards consensus and shouldn't be viewed as a "vote" in
the traditional majority-rules way.  i've found that sometimes the level of
consensus is higher than i expected when doing a straw-poll of a group like
this.  thus i'm of the view that it's never too early to start learning where
we're at on consensus.  who knows what we'll find out.

- one of the goals of the poll is to give proposal-advocates some feedback on
the strong points and weak points of their work -- places where people agree
with their ideas and, much more valuable, places where people disagree with
them.  if i were a proposal-advocate type person, i'd be *really* interested in
that negative feedback and calling *those* folks up to try to figure out
compromises.

- i agree that we've got a ways to go on understanding the proposals, and the
differences between them.  Roberto and i have been puzzling about a good way
forward on that.  we've also been thinking that we're coming up on the time
when we should start dissecting the pieces of the proposals and putting those
pieces side by side so that we can move beyond the "beauty contest" phase of
the work.  it cheers me up to learn that we're not the only people who feel
that way.  :-)

- i debated putting in some "what are your views regarding VI?" and "what is
your stake in VI?" type questions and sheared away from it, partly because i
wasn't sure whether people would find them useful and partly because i couldn't
frame them very well.  Berry's list seems like a good start to me -- i'd like
to hear more about what people would like to see asked along those lines.

so i'll leave my lame poll up, folks can participate if they want and i'll fold
your alpha-test feedback into Revision 0.9.2 next week.  :-)

thanks!

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356