ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] About the poll(s)

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] About the poll(s)
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:10:50 +0200

Folks,
I would like to make sure that we are all on the same page with this.
When we have proposed a poll, we did not mean at all to hold a vote and
start the process for picking a "winner", but just to have a show of hands,
and gather comments, to see where the group stands.
In a group of this size, with just a small percentage that is active, the
co-chairs have no other means (at least nothing that comes to my mind) to
have a feel of the room and, more important, to gently push the silent
majority to think about the different proposals and express themselves. Whe
know reasonably well where Jeff N. or Jeff E., or Kathy, or Tim stand, but
there are many other folks from whom we do not hear, although they might
have already some opinion on some proposals.
In a discussion with a group of this size, with sometimes also strong
opinions, and rebuttals in a strong way, it is not easy, in particular for
certain cultures, to jump in and state your thoughts in a public list, in
particular with the risk of being flamed in response. The poll can be a way
in which, maybe, some more members would give us some important information
that we would not be able to gather otherwise.
On the issue on whether it is too early, we were not thinking of having this
poll just once, and now, but we can also repeat it at some interval to see
whether there is some shift, or some adjustment, following the refinement of
the proposals or the continuation of the discussion.
I would encourage you to fill it in. It is not an engagement, it will not
result in having some proposals being discarded or given priority, it will
be not prejudicial for changing your mind tomorrow, but will give us a hint,
as it sometimes happens at physical meetings when the chair or the
facilitator calls for a show of hands.
Cheers,
Roberto