ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences

  • To: icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 00:34:20 -0400

No. Because any "market power" question has a competition policy
context, and the vertical integration problem area is not limited to
competition policy.

Issues such as whois accuracy, generic name sales and who captures the
margins, "premium name" sales and who captures the margins, all inform
the vertical integration problem domain.

We are not tasked with making the minimal competition policy policy
development process recommendation, as the Board's Resolution #5 at
Nairobi was "market power" indifferent. Our task is responding to the
Board's policy change in Resolution #5.

The idea that any of the circa-2000 or subsequent gTLD registries
exercise "market power" relative to the com/net/org and the
mil/gov/edu brands, is amusing.

Eric