ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Innovative Proposal - Jeff E response

  • To: "gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Innovative Proposal - Jeff E response
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:26:35 -0400

On 15 Apr 2010, at 14:25, Michael Palage wrote:

> I think Milton, Jeff E and I are looking for actual harms, so that we can
> address them. Prior to Seoul I supported Afilias/Neustar/PIR's position
> because DemandMedia opposed any audit. Given that they have made an important
> concession on this point, let's talk about how to give the audit teeth
> instead of those that oppose an idea without providing any specific examples
> of harm that cannot be addressed through an audit/complaince program.

As I watch this conversation, I find myself coming to the conclusion that the
need for external audits with teeth comes in as soon as there is any
cross-ownership at all.  For if the registries and registrars are not to
trusted with higher degrees of ownership and if they are often so nefarious as
to find a way to take advantage of any situation, then the 15% cap, an
admittedly arbitrary number, is no protection at all.

That is, I think we need a system of audits with teeth no matter what the cap
if that cap is greater then zero.

a.