ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Merged Proposal

  • To: "'Jon Nevett'" <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Merged Proposal
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:56:48 -0400

Jon/Jeff,

Thanks for the update. Just a couple of quick questions.

Question #1:  You propose allowing an entity to increase cross-ownership
beyond 15% in 18 months if the ICANN community supports new criteria.  What
happens if an applicant located in the US goes and gets a business review
letter from the US Department of Justice stating that their business
proposal concerning joint ownership and the sharing and business information
raises no competition concerns, but the ICANN community (with no subject
matter expertise in this area) disagrees and can't make up its mind in 18
months?  Your proposal  would block that party from increasing beyond 15%
just because the ICANN community says so, notwithstanding the experts have
already determined that there is no problem, correct?

Question #2: When does the 18 month clock start ticking (approval of the
policy, submission of application, signing of contract with ICANN, entry
into the root, first domain name entered into the zone, soft launch, general
commercial launch)? For example the application review process will likely
take at least 12 month even without any string contention. There will then
be contractual negotiations and pre-delegation sign off, this should be an
additional 3-6 months. I think the current registry agreement requires the
TLD to be in the root 12 months after signing. Would it be possible to apply
and agree to the 15% limit as part of the application and then for an
applicant prior to going live to seek an amendment.  Without providing any
context on the criteria that will be applicable in connection with approving
waivers in excess of 15% seems like a very profitable gaming scenarios for
ICANN consultants. While that may be extremely lucrative for people like Jon
and I, I think the business community should expect a little more
predictability in the process if we want true innovation and choice.

If you could proactively address these questions during today's call I would
greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Michael