ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:28:33 -0400

On 4/26/10 4:23 PM, Richard Tindal wrote:

> I think this is a scenario JN2 are trying to address in their proposal.
>
> Under the CORE, Afilias and PIR proposals,  a large domain reseller,  let's
> say Yahoo,  could become the registry for .WEB and still offer  .WEB names to
> consumers.   Yahoo would simply become  a reseller for WEB,  buying names
> from an unaffiliated registrar at a fraction above the registry price.   This
> would give Yahoo the effective market presence of a registrar, even though
> they were only a reseller.

I confess I missed this in our last off-list Q&A.

RT: if WEB LLC (not owned by eNom) is the registry for .WEB can eNOM
be the back-end registry provider?

EB: Yes.

(here Yahoo is the hypothetical back-end registry provider, rather
than eNom)

EB: Try .cat (.web), PuntCat (WEB LLC) and CORE-Registrar (eNom).

RT: If so,  can eNom be accredited and sell WEB names?

EB: No. See .cat (.web), PuntCat (WEB LLC) and CORE-Registrar (eNom).

EB: CORE could sell .cat, but we don't because we can see where the
conflicts could arise.

(here, in Yahoo having a $6 true cost advantage over all other parties
engaging ultimately in registrations of .WEB)

So I suggest there is a slip of the pen, at least for the CORE model
being one which allows the nickle price of self-dealing. I'll let
Brian and Kathy examine their proposals to see if they think they've
caught the nickle self-deal. Alternatively, show me how to construct
the nickle exploit under CORE's proposal, as that will be a surprise.

> For example,  if the registry price was $6.00 Yahoo could probably buy names
> from an unaffiliated  registrar for $6.05.    Even though Yahoo the reseller
> paid $6.05 per name,  $6.00 of this flowed back to Yahoo the registry,  and
> so Yahoo would have the presence of a registrar for an incremental cost of
> only $0.05 per name.

The example has fundamental value, not just showing how to set up the
nickle exploit. The true cost of domains in bulk is pennies over the
wholesale price. Of course, this is only of interest to parties that
traffic in domains in bulk.

Eric