ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities

  • To: "tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:00:56 -0400

Actually, I think the opposite.  The JN2 proposal regulates back-end operators
that have an affiliation with the Registry Operator or the Registrar.

I think Richard oversimplified a little.  If the back-end provider is
affiliated with the Registry Operator, then for the purposes of restrictions it
is treated as the registry operator.  IN addition, even if there is no
"affiliation" under the definition provided (which includes control), but it
does have control over pricing, selection of registrars, etc., then it too will
be regulated as if it were the registry operator.  If the back-end registry
operator is unaffiliated with the registry operator, but has an affiliation
with a Registrar, then certain audits, separation requirements, etc. are in
place.

Hope that helps.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.