ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:07:06 -0400

These are all reasonable questions and I look forward to a discussion of them
tomorrow.

I'm not making an argument in favour of any particular proposal.   I'm simply
making the point that a reseller can act with the same power as a registrar.

If we decide to recommend limits on cross-owned registrars then these limits
must also apply to cross-owned resellers,  or they will have no effect.      If
we recommend no limits on cross-ownership then we do not need to worry about
resellers.

For example,  if we adopt the MMA proposal and a national competition authority
has concerns about Registry XYZ owning a registrar in its TLD then we should
also be concerned about Registry XYZ owning a reseller in that TLD.    In the
context of cross-ownership,  registrars and resellers are essentially the same
thing.

RT