ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The missing part

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The missing part
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:58:26 -0400

I propose that registry back-end operators, current and prospective,
upon meeting some reasonable criteria for safety and security, be
allowed to offer registry back-end service for current, and
prospective, registries.

Roberto, you may recognize this as the original, IHAC period SRS
proposal, which then proposed to create the locus of competition in
the registry function, rather than in the registrar function.

This would mean, that to pick numbers arbitrarily, that a registry
operator would be able to offer .com registry service, through the
.com registry operator, in competition with the existing, monopoly
back end registry services operator for .com, to registrars, for $1
per domain year, in competition with the current pricing of $6 per
domain year.

The Vertical Integration policy recommendation is to require registry
operators to provide equal access to competitive registry back-end
operators, and to provide neutral pass-through pricing to registrars.

This proposal is distinct from all other current proposals, which
leave the registry function an unfied, monopoly held by the merged
back-end services provider and the registry operator.

As an example, CORE could provide registry back-end services for names
in .com, .net and .name, which the registrars could select, for
whatever reasons they, their resellers, the registrants or their
proxies, choose, price included.

Thank you for asking what was missing, we've focused on the registrar
and the consumer interest, and overlooked the registry and the
consumer interest.

Eric