ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] - resellers

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] - resellers
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 21:31:33 -0400

Richard,

We're in agreement on the outcome, just in disagreement over the
language to get to the outcome. While "registrar" has some meaning, at
least on the g-side, and encompasses entities as diverse as CORE and
116 paper registrars, just to use eNom (without prejudice) as an
example, to "act as a registrar" (on the g-side) to me has a broader
meaning, and encompasses the intentional sub-agency "reseller"
function of the agency of the "registrar" function.

I'm not adverse to adopting atoms. If "act as" has consensus to mean
the registrar and not its sub-agents, then we need to explicitly bind
any condition we intend to mean on registrars and their resellers.

Eric