ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Orphans, existance and exploitation of

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Orphans, existance and exploitation of
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 09:36:47 -0700

Kathy,

While I know you are looking for a compromise on the Orphan TLD idea does not
work in a real marketplace, but I do believe there is an excellent idea in your
proposal. Lets forget about the gaming issue for a second and think about what
the Orphan idea does to a TLD.

The TLD has to go around with its hands out begging for a spot on the shelf,
then if everyone rejects them they have to make a special application to ICANN
stating they are so unwanted that they need to announce it to ICANN, have a 30
day comment period for everyone to know and comment how bad and unwanted their
TLD is and then the next step. Build or Buy a Registrar.

This TLD that has no interest has to invest even more money to buy a registrar
or build one. For someone that runs a registrar I can tell you this is no easy
task. Then once they finally get their registrar up and running they can only
sell X number of domains, then they are held back.
Now faced with this future, I believe we will force out a great deal of
applicants, especially ones in developing countries or with somewhat limited
budgets. I do not believe that is your goal, but think that will be an
unintended consequence.

I do believe there is an excellent idea in your proposal and that is to allow
the Registry to own a Registrar and allow them to sell and manage up to a
certain number of domains. This is the original Jon Nevett proposal and I
believe allowed a Registry to own a Registrar and sell up to 100,000 domains so
the TLD could get off the ground. Once the TLD was established, say 100K
domains, the Registry could no longer sell new domains, just manage their
existing. This would cut off the potential harms as the owned Registrar and
give a new TLD a chance to enter the market and compete right from the
beginning, not after months of going around begging and having to become an
orphan.

Maybe Jon Nevett could help explain his original proposal on the call today, or
maybe I am putting him on the spot, but I think it is an idea that is worth
considering (reconsidering) as it removes all the gaming concerns, that orphan
stigma and allows competition from the beginning.

Thanks

Jeff Eckhaus