ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Orphans, existance and exploitation of

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Orphans, existance and exploitation of
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 12:54:38 -0400

Hmm. Accepting the build-or-buy-a-registrar-is-expensive premise for
the moment, and the awkward problem all the exception proposals have
for when the exception limit is reached and transition to a the
Recommendation 19 regime must take place, in addition to Jon's
proposal, which Jeff correctly remembers at 100k, the advantages of a
100% owned registrar shared with no other registries are also present
in the 15% owned registrar shared with six or more other registries.

The gaming opportunity is removed. Equal or better benefits accrue to
the registry cost-and-complexity sharing with other registries, such
as a common rights-of-others capability, common legal staff, ...

Eric