ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] RE: ISPCP COMMENTS ON VI

  • To: "gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: ISPCP COMMENTS ON VI
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 21:43:19 -0400

I was happy to see that this statement took a reasonable stance and supported
the idea of exceptions to the separation requirements in the case of SR,
"orphans" and community TLDs. I also thought it was nice that it deferred
taking a position on how exceptions should be made, indicating a willingness to
work that out through the WG process.

I have one question about a part of the ISPCP statement, and hope someone from
that group can answer it.

The closing paragraph of the statement says that "...the ISPCP Constituency is
in favour of Full Structural Separation of Registries and Registrars as an
overall policy..."

My question is this: does a registry that owns a separate, ICANN-accredited
registrar that distributes its own TLD, but nevertheless offers equivalent
access to all other accredited registrars, count as "structural separation" or
not? The reason this is an important question is that most IO economists I know
would consider that arrangement to be structural separation (separate business
entities, separate contracts with ICANN, equal access requirements). But I
think some people here might not.

--MM

*IO = industrial organization btw