ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] OUR WG TABLE - For Final Inputs!

  • To: "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] OUR WG TABLE - For Final Inputs!
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 09:12:20 -0400

> Does no mean just a registry operator with a contract, or does it apply to
> RSPs (a term we have coined in this group)?

>From an August 8th, 2008 ICANN posting:

"Backend Registry Certification Not Available in First Round - On 31
January 2008, ICANN posted an announcement (
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-31jan08.htm ) to
inform the community that it was exploring a potential initiative for
the certification of backend registry operators for new gTLDs. The
initiative was suggested as a possible means to streamline the
application process for new gTLDs and to create a pool of
pre-qualified registry operators who could provide assistance in the
event of a registry failure. Exploration of the initiative was also
prompted by inquiries from a range of community members who expressed
that creation of the certification would promote competition for
technical services providers."

Coined? As in newly minted?

Eric