ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI - An RSP Question..

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI - An RSP Question..
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:15:09 -0400

Off list

You are of course exactly right, Jeff. But as I said in my earlier message, the
people you are arguing with have moved beyond reasoning and are now in a
positioning phase. They have a defined political objective: preserve the status
quo and their position in it. Their object is to scare us away from making any
changes that would make new entry easier. They are not interested in logic or
facts.

From: Jeff Eckhaus [mailto:eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Unfortunately we have seen people who run charities loot the charity and put
money into their own pocket, stealing from the people who they are supposed to
serve. Is the way to stop this to not allow new charities to form and only
allow existing charities to operate?
Gaming and bad actors are not related to cross-ownership and can occur with 0%
separation and with 100% separation. As you say, we saw it happen with .travel
which had the separation you feel is "something known"  and many others have
called a system that works.

I believe the correct remedy is to move forward, promote competition, allow new
entrants but have a system of reviews and enforcement. This is something that
we saw in many proposals including JN2.

Let's be clear on one thing, the proposals to allow 0% or 15% ownership only
does one thing, keeps out one class of entrants, Registrars. It allows all the
bad actors in the world to apply, does not guarantee we will be free  of gaming
at all. It is a false sense of security. To those that state that separation
lowers the chances of gaming occurring, I go back to Ron's original point,
thieves will be thieves.