ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI - Make us feel safer

  • To: <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI - Make us feel safer
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 12:59:52 -0400

Volker,

Putting aside percentages for the time being, I would like to respond to the
comment you made:

"If we manage to implement the right securities and safeguards, we will not
need any blanket restrictions that don't do anything and only make us _feel_
safer."

Scott Austin illustrated some of the harms that many in the ICANN community
are concerned about when he asked the question to Jeff E, as follows:

"...what protections against domain warehousing, parking, front running,
kiting do they propose, as using the term "gaming" appears to be
unacceptable, yet there are many more versions out there I may not be able
to articulate besides those above or are yet to be devised?"

So my question to you is what are the securities and safeguards that address
the types of gaming noted by Scott?  How much access will compliance staff
have to registries-registrars that are co-owned (in any percentage) to
perform in-depth audits?  How many compliance staff will be needed to ensure
that the safeguards are functioning and how many to take action against
breaches?  What are the penalties that would be levied?  Are they scaled to
meet simple transgressions all the way up to gross infractions?  Etc., etc..
We need answers to these and the myriad of other questions that arise when
we focus on this aspect.

I don?t know the answers to these questions, but they are, indeed, what
gives me pause when trying to find my way through the issue of CO.   Maybe
we need input from staff in this regard to give us a sense of what we are
talking about?  Perhaps we could get David Giza on one of the next calls to
apprise us on what the compliance we are discussing would truly entail?

If we can affectively address securities and safeguards against such things
as Scott mentioned, we will have removed at least one big stumbling block,
for me, at the very least.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff