ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Free Trade Model

  • To: M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Free Trade Model
  • From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 15:34:57 -0500

I have purposely taken a 'lurking' posture on this WG while I try to work
out - in the ICANN context - the compelling user interest that should engage
and hold my attention. To be brutally frank, so far and in this context,
very little; most of it amounts to "all sound and fury, signifying nothing".
 I thought that maybe I am overly influenced by my real world experience
from the ccTLD side, where VI,exists and is not an issue of great moment.
 My colleagues would therefore not be surprised that Volker Griemann's
submission is the only one that has had some appeal for me.

Here's the thing. My intuit screams at me that all this kerfuffle really
represents a "proxy war" between "interests" that remain murky, at best.
 And what we have here is competition "by extension and by other means".
Yes, I fully expect to be derided as a conspiracy theorist from the usual
quarters.

Allow me to enumerate my disquiets.

I do not believe that ICANN should be in the business of defining business
models for the  domain market.

I believe it is inherently statist - and a behaviour that ought not to be
afforded ICANN - to choose winners by endorsing one or other business model.
 It smells way too much like Bolshevism, even for me.

I believe the 15% cross-ownership threshold rule is so arbitrary as to make
it ineffective for policy. It is especially irrational when contextualized
around the nexus of control vs. ownership vs. cartelization.

To my mind, there is only one rule in context; First, do no harm. I believe
the focus ought to be on restraints on harms that can be readily identified,
policed and sanctioned, not on restraints on trade.

I thank Sivasubramanian for this offering.  Count me as +1 in favour of the
outline he has proposed.

Kind regards,
Carlton Samuels