ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Updated MMA proposal now called CAM

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Updated MMA proposal now called CAM
  • From: Steve Pinkos <stevepinkos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:49:22 -0500

Dear Avri and VI WG Colleagues,

I am not an antitrust or competition law expert, but I'm very interested in
the updated CAM proposal which contemplates a review by competition
authorities of co-ownership. Following that logic wouldn't it also be the
case that some parties may want to seek action from competition authorities
if ICANN imposes strict separation, thereby limiting competition by one
class of applicant? Perhaps competition authorities will take it upon
themselves to review such a policy --- especially in light of a vastly
different gTLD market landscape than currently exists?  Can any of the
competition law experts help out with this question?

Thanks,

Steve Pinkos