ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] how to reach consensus

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] how to reach consensus
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:43:20 +0200

The Board resolution and the resulting DAGv4 language is all about that:
whether we as a group can move beyond the impasse that we have always seen on
the Vi issue, where you basically have 2 camps facing off and no-one is willing
to move a little towards some middle ground, or whether we are not, dare I say,
mature enough to do so.

I think it would be not be good to see such tight separation stay in place for
the first round, but absent some willingness to accept the other side's point
of view, I agree with you it may well be the only solution we have left.

That is why the Board acted the way it did, because it realised there was no
way proponents of "no separation" or "full separation" would ever come together
to offer a rational middle-ground solution unless they were put in a position
where they had to reach consensus. If we are still not there, then let's stay
with the current impasse and we'll just all have to live with the DAGv4
language. I think that would be a pity because I can see a lot of cases where,
should strict separation be applied in that way, TLD initiatives that are
currently being worked on will simply not see the light of day.

Stéphane