ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE:[gnso-vi-feb10] Neustar Concerns with Afilias Proposals

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>, "Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jean Christophe VIGNES <jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE:[gnso-vi-feb10] Neustar Concerns with Afilias Proposals
  • From: Jean Christophe VIGNES <jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 00:53:56 +0200

Dear all,

I haven't had the chance to exchange with the other members of the so-called
"open registrar" proposal but I would like to personally echo Neustar's
concerns.

So far we still haven't been formerly convinced that co/vi was the pure evil
some are protraying it to be. Rather, it seems to me this proposal represents a
significant step backwards from any potential innovation and for what? Only
because this is the only solution some have thought of to rule some mythical
"bad actors".

Bad actors, if there are any, need to be policed and sanctionned. Simply saying
forbid vi so bad actors will disapear is tantamount to spending all your life
behind closed doors so you won't get any germ... It just doesn't work.

The fact that we are on a somewhat short time frame is no excuse either:
thousands of emails and months of work should not lead to mere status quo or
"big" actors just willing to stay big.

JC

(Sent from my BlackBerry)
Jean-Christophe Vignes