ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] RE: VI definitions from staff

  • To: Mike Zupke <Mike.Zupke@xxxxxxxxx>, vertical integration wg <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: VI definitions from staff
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:18:08 -0400

I note that the definition of "vertical integration" has been subdivided into
two: a broader definition that includes cross ownership or control of firms at
various levels of production, and then there is a more limited and specific
term called "vertical integration with exclusivity," which refers to the
situation where a registry acts as the _only_ registrar for its own TLD.

This distinction is useful, I propose that we take note of it and adopt it
consistently in our discussions. One could quibble about the various shades of
gray between what they define as "cross ownership," "vertical integration" and
"vertical integration with exclusivity," but as long as we all use the terms
consistently it doesn't matter.

--MM