ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:32:52 -0400

If regulators cap the wholesale price at $6 per name and then impose technical
standards and contractual regulations on a registry that allows those $6 names
to be sold by 100+ competing retailers, wel,, heck yes, the market will bid
away the monopoly prices and the retail price falls to somewhere closer to $6 +
margin. You have a textbook commodity market. That's the .com story.

We are not talking about .com anymore. (Is that clear to everyone yet? ;-)

We are talking about new names and new registries, none of which will have the
legacy monopoly .com had, and many of which will need new business models in
order to establish themselves and survive in a market already dominated by .com
and .com resellers.

--MM