ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Areas of complete and irreconcilable disagreement

  • To: "<vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Areas of complete and irreconcilable disagreement
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 22:35:07 +0000

And for the record, I personally fully support everything that Volker has
stated so eloquently

Ownership percentages are just a silly distraction.

Having real / tangible controls in place to both prevent known / obvious /
predictable abuse / issues and a framework to deal with issues that *could*
arise in the future should be the focus.

Regards

Michele

On 9 Jun 2010, at 17:38, Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> I would have preferred a longer discussion of that topic as well.
>
> Regarding the 15% limitation, no rationale has been put forward why this (and
> no other) percentage will solve all problems and reduce the risk of gaming to
> an acceptable level. The arguments seem to revolve mostly on the "legacy"
> argument which does not explain anything. Even in 0% scenarios, there will be
> gaming, if no other systems of checks and penalties is provided. And once we
> have a system that will resolve these issues, the limitation does not make
> any sense at all.  A limit for the sole purpose of introducting a limit, or
> because it sounds nice, or because it is easier to sell sells the entire
> process of introducing new gTLDs short and stifles competitions by
> restricting access to the market in favor of some of the incumbent providers.
> It will thereby weaken the position of all new TLDs.
>
> As an example, how does forcing interested registrars to find outside
> investors to finance the remaining 85% of a registry benefit a new TLD? The
> investors may in all likelyhood only be interested in high short term gains,
> but keep out of the day to day managemant due to lack of experience, leaving
> the registrar effectively in control, but pushed towards maximizing profits
> by the investors, increasing the risk of gaming, not reducing it. In the best
> case, the registry will be run just like a 100% co-owned registry would be,
> in the worst case, it will resort to gaming to assist the venture capitalists
> to get a faster ROI. In the end, nothing is gained by the limitation. Erik,
> you said that the limit is anticipatory, but I do not see how anything will
> be achieved by the proposal you support. In my view, it is a giant step in
> the wrong direction. It is a guardian knight in shining armor in the time of
> gunpowder. It looks nice, but does nothing.
>
> So yes, I vehemently oppose any limitation at this stage as I see it as
> ineffective and unconstructive. As stated before, the discussion of a limit
> is a red herring, what we should be discussing is finding ways of reducing
> the chance of abuse effectively. The proposed solve-all achieves the opposite
> of its intention. As Erik states, the specific cap is one area of
> non-agreement.
>
> Some proponents, as Erik points out, look towards competition authorities to
> fix all problems. Face it, they won't. It makes sense to involve them in the
> application process, to prevent some possible conentrations of market power,
> but in the end, you will need the same system of how to react to abuse when
> it happens, or even prevent it entirely. Abuse will only become visible once
> the new TLDs are up and running, not in the application process.
>
> I am confident that our WG, with all the combined experience, can come up
> with a system that will be able to set a code of conduct that all registries
> [...]

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
ICANN Accredited Registrar