ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI proposal

  • To: "'alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx'" <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, "'eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI proposal
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:35:35 -0400

Alan,

I think what Jeff E points out is incredibly important. The RySG as a whole
recognized by Supermajority support that our goal was not to be prevent
competition at all, but impose reasonable limits and welcoming all to compete
with us on a level competitive playing field. Afilias, PIR, Neustar and others
voted to support that notion. Preventing all forms of competition by certain
entities was not our goal, and in fact, we wee so enraged by the implication
ICANN staff made about us not allowing competition, we actually wrote a letter
to Congress to be included in the official testimony and required icann to
apologize to us publicle for making that implication. Yet that is the same
implication that now appears in the RACK+ proposal.

Alan/CLO and anyone else signing the RACK proposal, let's work on your fears
and make suggestions on what can be done from an enforcement perpective. I
would be happy to work on that. Otherwise, for me, I would rather have the
staff proposal of 2 percent than the RACK one of 15 percent. The 2 percent is
to protect against a de minimus unintended consequence, wheras the 15 percent
is meant to protect an existing player against a fully intended consequence.
That existing player can put whatever new spin they want on this, but the fact
of the matter is that the existing player voted in favor of allowing registries
and registrars to compete (without distribution in the TLD).

Can minds be changed? Sure, but the question then is why? What new evidence
came to light about potential harms to registrants caused Afilias and PIR to
change their tune? I really want to know because perhaps I am in the wrong
here. I am not too proud to admit that I was wrong, but I need to know why I
was wrong.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.