ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI proposal

  • To: Phil Buckingham <pjbuckingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI proposal
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:55:59 +0200

Phil,

the ownership percentage in itself is not the stumbling block for me, although I believe in the possibility of a 100% CO permission. It is rather the willingness to work on a system that keeps registries and registrars in line _regardless of the percentage of CO_, combined with the certainty that the blanket 15% limit in itself will not resolve anything and will enable abuse. Once such a system is established, then we can discuss ownership levels, but I believe at that point, any percentage is possible.

Volker
In my dealings with Afilias since Seoul this "change of tack ", now public , does not surprise me . As M Palage, tried to point out, I guess I have no vested interest in the outcome of new gTLDs, as I am no longer associated with a registrar , registry etc . Little does he know ! Could I suggest that somehow we all pull together with a rival proposal , lets call it JV (power of 4) as in Joint Venture ie Jeff Jeff Jon James ( my middle name) Volker. The key difference seems to be the cross ownership percentage level. I agree with many of the points you have all raised in the last few days. Yes , this ownership issue is a distraction . Yes there need to be very strict controls in place , whether they be compliance , internal , external audit , regulation on pricing and competition rules , to eliminate all know "harms" pre application launch . Clearly ICANN does not have this in place to cope with 500 new applications ( -the number which they are using for budgets, appointing evaluators ( which includes me). I personally feel , long term , ICANN need to set up a separate , independent regulatory body on all TLDs. As M Palage has just pointed out - it is on a cost recovery basis , so ICANN MUST get 500 applications ! So any VI proposal , which prevents applicants , registrars , etc , stops innovation and choice is not an option in the long term, I feel. As for the short short term. As somebody pointed out early on , we have opened a can of worms and the VI issues are complex and contentious and by its very nature we are not going to get "consensus" in this group , - to convince the Board that we have a proposal , to effectively replace DAG 4 . So personally I am going to stick / vote with what we have now, so that allows the ICANN communication strategy to start , with clear guidelines to any new potential gTLD applicants. I cant see how ICANN can put a message out " VI issues are still under discussion , but they will be resolved by our meeting in Colombia " unless of course they delay the communication strategy and subsequent launch . , till say , after Colombia meet . I dont think this an option for ICANN , anymore. Volker, I fully appreciate that the current DAG4 does absolutely nothing to help registrars , like Key Systems , to invest in / run new gTLDs . So the 500 target will just not happen ! However if you feel we could get enough support and agreement ( ie more than RACK+1 13) to push through at Brussels then count me in 100% in the next week. regards Phil Buckingham ps Dont understand why Eric / CORE is in the "other camp" or indeed Jothan - is he still involved with M&M ? pps I have outreached to key ICANN staff , including Kevin Wilson , CFO , David Giza ( compliance) and Mike Salazar , Director of new gTLD implementation. Would you be interested in joining me in these private meetings ?