ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] What would "a system that keeps registries and registrars in line" look like?

  • To: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] What would "a system that keeps registries and registrars in line" look like?
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:18:19 -0400

Volker,

What would it look like? What would a system that keeps registries and
registrars in line look like?

Would it, as Ron's pointed out, catch .travel?

How about the shell registrars? Would it catch them?

How can we police ourselves?

Is Verisign barred by contract, because the policing is not merely to
manage abuse, but also to promote competition policy goals?

Is policing of applicants from outside the OEDC states permissive,
again because the policing is not merely to manage abuse, but also to
promote competition policy goals?

Assuming we're not driven stupid by our advocacy goals, what and how
would we get there?

Is it a million euros-or-dollars a year accounting and compliance
project? Ten times that? What?

I'm happy telling Staff and the Board to spend money on something
useful, but what is it?

Eric