ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What would "a system that keeps registries and registrars in line" look like?

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What would "a system that keeps registries and registrars in line" look like?
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:13:40 +0200

Hi Eric,

you repeat a good question, one that I have been trying to get us all to discuss for a while now, so I am thankful for your input.

If you want to know if I already have such a fully developed system in my pocket, I must respond in the negative. If you are however asking if I believe that we can work out a functioning system if we set our minds to it and discuss this instead of losing ourselves in unfruitful and pointless debates about arbitrary percentages, the answer is affirmative.

For example, I do support the proposed system of pre-checks as proposed in the CAM proposal. This will have to be supplemented with a firm structure of checks, controls and penalties. First we need to exploit the specific exploits and harms that would arise specifically from scenarios of CO and VI. We should then pool specific suggestions of how to fix those problems. Whatever suggestion is made, whatever controls are proposed, I challenge each one of use to search for and find possible exploits and side-effects in order to allow us all to fix these problems as well. Not all harms presented to the list so far are related to VI/CO at all. Does our mandate extend to such possibilities of abuse?

At the end of the day, our cooperatively developed system would catch .travel, shell registrars, what have you, and that without relying on a magic number to fix all problems that directly result from CO/VI.

Who will perform these checks? Again, this is to be defined by us. I am leaning toward a mix of peer overview, ICANN oversight and independent control.

I would much rather tell the board "Look, here is a system we believe can reduce or control abuse" than "Look, we think limiting ownership to 15% will solve all problems. Why? Because this is the number that has always been right for everything, a magic cure, if you will". Less competition on the registry market will not reduce abuse.

I do not have the perfect solution ready as you seem to imply. It will take time to work out, but we are the engineers that should make it happen. Let's get to work.

What would it look like? What would a system that keeps registries and
registrars in line look like?

Would it, as Ron's pointed out, catch .travel?

How about the shell registrars? Would it catch them?

How can we police ourselves?

Is Verisign barred by contract, because the policing is not merely to
manage abuse, but also to promote competition policy goals?

Is policing of applicants from outside the OEDC states permissive,
again because the policing is not merely to manage abuse, but also to
promote competition policy goals?

Assuming we're not driven stupid by our advocacy goals, what and how
would we get there?

Is it a million euros-or-dollars a year accounting and compliance
project? Ten times that? What?

I'm happy telling Staff and the Board to spend money on something
useful, but what is it?

Eric

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
66482 Zweibrücken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede
Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist
unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per
E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
DE-66482 Zweibruecken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is
addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this
email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the
author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.