ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Caution about results from Original Poll

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Caution about results from Original Poll
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:46:51 -0500

ooOOOooo...  wait until the "laser tag" phase kicks in...  suger high + massive
adrenalin = double-crash.  :-)

the analogy is just right -- remember, this is a way for us to talk to each
other and nothing more.  one of my goals for the Saturday meeting is to focus
us on "discussion" rather than "debate" and i'm hoping that this kind of
polling will help us with that.

On Jun 16, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Neuman, Jeff wrote:

> All,
>
> I do believe the first poll on the proposals was in fact useful and a really
> good exercise.  And I am not just saying that because the JN2 proposal got
> the most “yes” votes.  My caution, however, is that some are now describing
> the “Free Trade” proposal as the one that most people support because of the
> number of people that either said “yes” or “can live with.”  I do not believe
> that view is entirely accurate.  This is because both the JN2 proposal and
> the RACK+ proposal both dealt with limitations on ownership/control.  People
> were divided on how exactly to limit ownership/control, but not on the
> concept of whether to apply restrictions.
>
> The analogy I use is my oldest daughter’s birthday party this year where the
> kids had a choice of “Mixed Fruit”, “Chocolate Ice Cream” or “Vanilla Ice
> Cream”.   7 kids (surprisingly) chose mixed fruit, 6 kids chose chocolate ice
> cream and 6 kids chose “Vanilla Ice Cream”.  So of the 19 kids at the party,
> more of them chose Fruit than any other choice, so that would be a true
> statement.  However, it would also be true that more kids choice “Ice Cream”
> in general instead of fruit.
>
> Here we have the same type of thing.  Taken one way, more people chose the
> Free Trade Proposal than chose RACK.  But, looked at a different way, more
> people chose to apply limits on cross ownership/control than chose Free Trade.
>
> We just need to remember the ice cream/mixed fruit analogy going forward.
>
> P.S.  Never have a party with 19 screaming 5 year olds and offer them ice
> cream….very messy and the sugar high afterwards is a killer J
>

> Jeffrey J. Neuman
> Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Law & Policy
> 46000 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
> Office: +1.571.434.5772  Mobile: +1.202.549.5079  Fax: +1.703.738.7965 /
> jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx  / www.neustar.biz
> The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
> of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you have
> received this e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination,
> distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete
> the original message.

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com