ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private GNSO Council meeting with Board on VI

  • To: Ron Andruff <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private GNSO Council meeting with Board on VI
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:35:26 +0200

My own view is that there is a process issue in the Council observing,
in the sense of Heisenberg, and therefore influencing, policy
development, as if the structural reform was optional to observe.

However, the process issue does not end with either the Council, or
the Board, "observing" policy development, it also goes to the policy
development outside the four corners of the charter of the policy
development working group. By this I mean the incomplete creation of a
new application type, and the development of a vertical integration
policy for this incompletely defined new application type, as a covert
activity within the policy development for existing, previously
reviewed types present pre-DAG and in DAGs v1, v2, v3 and now v4.

So I agree with Jeff as far as he is willing to comment on the process
problem a body not tasked with policy development presents by
observing the activity each body is tasked with management, but I do
not limit my comment to this external effect, but also to an internal
effect, unaddressed by the co-chairs.

Eric