ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] New Proposal & ccTLDs

  • To: "'Volker Greimann'" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] New Proposal & ccTLDs
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:55:30 -0400

Volker,

Often is has been noted that ccTLDs operate without consumer harm, but
(while I don't know this as fact and welcome others to confirm or clarify)
it appears to me that most ccTLDs have significant government oversight or
are run by governments, academic institutions or not-for-profits.  I am
aware that some smaller nations have outsourced and contracted operations to
commercial entities, but the larger measure is as noted above.  If I am
correct in my understanding, it is understandable that there has been less
harm in that group of TLD operators and thus the argument about ccTLDs is,
in fact, not a supporting one for VI.

If I am incorrect, I welcome corrections to my understanding.

Thanks,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff
RNA Partners, Inc.