ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private GNSO Council meeting with Board on VI

  • To: Ron Andruff <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private GNSO Council meeting with Board on VI
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:00:36 +0200

We have a lot of work to do.  I would not like to see the in-person meeting on
Thursday dominated by this question, or indeed to spend any time on it during
this precious face-to-face time.

I feel compelled to note, however, that it is highly dispiriting to commit to
hard work, and then spend months doing it, only to find that someone is doing
an end-around, whatever the reasons.  If people are to do the work, they must
have trust in the process.   Corrosion of trust is very difficult to repair.

Having been on the receiving end of patronizing lectures from councillors about
why such-and-such is impossible because it would violate a certain
sub-sub-paragraph of GNSO rules, I am more than a little annoyed to find that
when it is convenient, the entire council has apparently disregarded the major
principle of the GNSO -- bottom-up policy development -- without so much as a
whimper.   I have no doubt that it was done with the best of intentions -- but
don't we all feel that we act with the best of intentions?

I for one would like to see a thorough explanation, but at a later time, in the
bright light of day.  Our in-person meeting should be devoted to finding a
solution to the vertical integration question, and that important task should
not be put aside simply to listen to private justifications for what appears to
be a pre-emption of our policy prerogative.   That would simply be to double
the damage.

Ron Andruff wisely suggests leaving this decision to our co-chairs, so I offer
my thoughts as a WG member's opinion only.

Antony