ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] EoB Update (EoB=End of Brussels)

  • To: VI <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] EoB Update (EoB=End of Brussels)
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:07:39 -0400

We have now concluded the VI meetings in Brussels. There has been lots of discussion, some in public and much in back rooms.

I think it is the time for WG members to state where they are now.

I am still in the RACK+ camp. As I stated when I first supported it, I have a strong desire to see a number of exceptions. Specifically, single-users applications where we can set rules to minimize gaming to use the TLD for more general purposes, and provision for community TLDs to not need registrars for initial deployment or a capped number of domains.

I am intrigued by the new Nevett proposal but have not had the time to sufficiently study it. More later.

Lastly, regarding the issue of VI above the 15% ownership/control limit, even if they do not distribute their own TLD. I distributed a variant proposal earlier this week to add specific contractual conditions to such registrars or resellers. I still do not advocate allowing such registrar/registry families with greater than 15% ownership/control, but if it ends up that such relationships are allowed, contracts between with the family registrars/resellers and ICANN would be absolutely essential.

Alan