ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Short-term schedule

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Short-term schedule
  • From: "Drazek, Keith" <kdrazek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:11:34 -0400

Hi Mikey,

Thanks for sending the updated schedule. I'd like to push back a little
(procedurally) on your point about not being able to reach consensus on
a single position. I think we need to refer to the GNSO's definitions of
consensus and re-evaluate what's still possible, however unlikely.

According to the latest guidelines for GNSO Working Groups (forwarded by
Marika last Thursday during our meeting) we won't reach "full
consensus," but the lower threshold of "consensus" allows for a small
minority position. Here's the guidance from the GNSO's May 31
Guidelines:

- The Chair will be responsible for designating each position as having
one of the following designations:
*       Full consensus - a position where no minority disagrees
*       Consensus - a position where a small minority disagrees but most
agree
*       No consensus but strong support for a specific position /
recommendation but significant opposition
*       Divergence - no strong support for a specific position /
recommendation
- In the case of consensus, no consensus or divergence, the WG Chair
should encourage the submission of minority viewpoint(s).

It's now clear we won't reach FULL consensus, but we don't yet know
whether we can or can't reach consensus on a single proposal with a
small minority in opposition. In light of this new reality (full
consensus impossible) I think it's still unclear whether WG members who
had previously worked to support one proposal or the other couldn't live
with and support the alternative in order to reach a consensus
recommendation. Anything less than a consensus recommendation from the
VI-WG will allow interpretation by the Staff and Board and lead to
uncertainty in the outcome, and that may be worse than either
alternative.

I have 2 process question for you and Roberto as we approach the end
game:

1. What constitutes "small minority" and "most" in the context of our
large Working Group with varying levels of participation?
2. How can we determine in the next 3 weeks whether we have consensus
with a majority/small minority, or no consensus on a single proposal?

These comments are submitted in my personal capacity and I welcome any
feedback.

Regards, Keith