ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Niche TLDs

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Niche TLDs
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 18:28:53 -0400

On 7/1/10 2:45 PM, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
The theme is the following:
Under which circumstances would people feel safe in allowing vertical
integration for a TLD that serves a small community, like a cultural,
linguistic, geographic community?

While feelings are relevant to the members of the VI PDP WG, the feelings of the members are not equivalent to the informed judgment of applicants for linguistic and cultural TLDs.

Is self-sales better than finding a registrar? In theory, yes.

In practice, in 2001, yes.

In practice, since 2001, no.

Will it be an insurmountable obstacle in the approaching (and receding at an equal rate) new gTLD round?

The cost of forming a registrar is an order of magnitude less than the application fee, all other costs ignored.

In the abstract then, we are looking for one entity capitalized at $185k plus some operating expenses (see the rest of the DAG for just how big that is) and one or more independent entities capitalized at less than $10k, and possibly using any one of a number of registrar-in-a-can solutions.

It is probably worth exploring if any of the shell registrar herders, who in steady state simply have to make annual renewal fees plus a margin, and exist simply to provide threads to the .com drop pool, want to "lease threads" to would-be registrars for a fraction of the cost of accreditation. It may be that when, or if, applicants begin to seek registrars, ICANN accredited registrar status may be offered on very attractive terms (isn't the drop game diminishing anyway?).

So, the net-net of this is we're considering a rule change to prevent community-based applicants from having to find parties within their, or other, communities, with the business sense to become registrars for peanuts, and obtain a near monopoly on the retail sales of one or more inventories, because of a necessity claim.

But that's not all...

Let me start.

    * There should be declared criteria to delimit the community, and
      adherence to these criteria will be audited by ICANN.

You want to make this harder than scoring a 14 of 16? You expect rational business planners to make their plans success conditional on scoring more than a 14 of 16??

    * The registry will be operated as a non profit for the benefit of
      the community.

That may be how I do things but I don't think it is good policy to insist that no community, presently ignored by ICANN and probably more underserved than just "ignored", decline every for-profit proposal, including those brought institutions within the community itself, in the pursuit of non-profit purity.

    * There is a maximum number of SLDs, passed which the registry
      loses its "niche" status..

Fine. Both numbers and months have been done previously, in .museum and .coop, respectively.

The point is that if a registry does fulfill these requirements, they
will be granted an exception, and will be allowed to operate without
giving equal access to all registrars.

Your first condition, community membership criteria, is an admission control criteria, and it is a continuous test. You appear to posit a one-time grant conditional upon a continuous, and therefore prospective property.

There might be interesting questions, like:

    * Will they be allowed to use the services of one registrar,
      selected by them, or not?

The registrants of the Native American serving registry are going to use GoDaddy whether I tell them to or not. There will be preference, for a variety of reasons, e.g., there being only two registrars in the entire MENA market (Morocco to Iraq). Not many more in all of Latin America. Three in all of Africa...

    * What is the maximum number opf names under the TLD?

How about 5k, with a firm recommendation that each of .aero, .coop and .museum, even .cat, get this grant of aid. We could see the use of the exception in action while waiting for 2011 or 2012 or ...

However good this feels, it doesn't reduce the greater costs. Back in Cairo, CORE met with ICANN to discuss the impact of the recurring costs, which ICANN subsequently reduced significantly. What we've yet to address is the cost of performance, now at SLA levels higher than the COM/NET/NAME operator is held to, which is a non-trivial cost to the entrant operator.

Further, this proposal ties the applicant, eventual RO, and the RSP, as a single unified, or paired entity. If, after building out the infrastructure sufficient to meet the requirements in section 6 of the DAG, the community-based registry sees offering RSP services to other applicants, the "non-profit" only and hard limit per RO constrain this grant.

At some point the real issue could be addressed more by the Board constitued WG Avri and Evan chair, though that group is constrained to just the fee issue, and not the costs implicit in non-fee conditions.

As an applicant, my costing would be far more benefited by removing the absurd SLA statements, the ipv6 requirement, the DNSSEC requirement, ... than the requirement to offer terms to one or more registrars.

Eric