ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Niche TLDs

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Niche TLDs
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:43:24 +0200

i Robert,

You present very nice starting points for further discussions.

Under which circumstances would people feel safe in allowing vertical integration for a TLD that serves a small community, like a cultural, linguistic, geographic community?

Let me start.

    * There should be declared criteria to delimit the community, and
      adherence to these criteria will be audited by ICANN.

I agree with this assessment, even if it will limit the possible ways a TLD can be marketed.
A few examples:
If .org would only allow registrations by bona fide registered organizations, would it be a community TLD in this sense? Would a .paris be registerable by non-parisians? Where will we draw the line? Will a definition of the community as "people and organizations with interests in Paris" be sufficient?

    * The registry will be operated as a non profit for the benefit of
      the community.

This assumes a for-profit cannot also act in the interest of the community. I do not subscribe to the belief that a community TLD must be NP. As long as the community supports the application, applications should be valid.

The point is that if a registry does fulfill these requirements, they will be granted an exception, and will be allowed to operate without giving equal access to all registrars.

There might be interesting questions, like:

    * Will they be allowed to use the services of one registrar,
      selected by them, or not?

Here I will stay firm with my demand for equal access from the start.

    * What is the maximum number opf names under the TLD?

This is the hard call, as every community is different. .afica may be a community TLD by some standards, but attract more applications than a .actuallivingastronauts. So where do we set the line. Is the same cutoff in the best interest of the communty the TLD is supposed to serve in each case? Does a cutoff even make sense?

Best,

Volker