ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU and a suggestion for our call

  • To: gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU and a suggestion for our call
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:44:17 -0700

I don't understand all the effort to make a carve out for brand and TM
holders who want to apply for a TLD. There is absolutely nothing
stopping them from doing that, and absolutely nothing that would require
they use registrars to register names for their own use. Extending that
to employees, vendors, affiliates, etc. is a different matter and
shouldn't constrain them if they really have intentions above the board.
For example, several very large brand and TM holders use Mark Monitor
quite happily.

Spending time on unnecessarily defining a new entity that will get used
primarily by a group of potential applicants that certainly need no help
from us is, IMHO, a waste of our time.

I'd like to make a suggestion during the call that might get us closer
to consensus, although probably still not there fully. If I would be
allowed to put it forward early in the call and most agree then we can
focus on it, otherwise we can proceed as planned.

Thanks,
Tim