ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

• To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:51:56 +0200

Actually, Jeff, currently a registrar could actually sell domain names in a TLD it is not accredited in by becoming a reseller of another registrar that is accredited for that TLD.

However, this could also be prohibited and monitored by requiring a reseller tag (similar to what Nominet has implemented) in the whois and contractually obligating all parties (RSP, registry and registrar) (a) not to sell or resell domain names in the TLD unless directly to an accredited registrar (for the registry), and (b) to contractually bind their affiliated companies to enter into a similar agreement with ICANN.

Volker

I also like the idea of exploring exceptions including the SRSU model as described below, but I have a more fundamental question on these exceptions.

Why is there no question or discussion on compliance abilities with regard to SRSU or other exceptions but arms start flying when other types of co-ownership are brought up? When I look at the idea of a Registry being able to own a Registrar but not be able to sell the TLD it owns it is actually simple to monitor, since the Registrar and affiliates could not be accredited in that TLD. If it is not accredited it cannot register any names. With mandatory thick whois, the Registrar of record is displayed. All very easy to monitor.

The SRSU model (which I said is worth exploring) has an incredible number of moving parts that need to be monitored and by many estimates there are expected to be over 200 .brand TLDs, yet the compliance issues and harms are not brought up.

What is it about .brand SRSU TLDs that make it easier to monitor and protect than another TLD that allows cross-ownership?

Thanks

Jeff Eckhaus

*From:* owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Milton L Mueller
*Sent:* Friday, July 02, 2010 11:21 AM
*To:* 'jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx'; roberto@xxxxxxxxx; Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

I agree with almost all of what Jarkko says here about SRSU. Only thing I would disagree with his any suggestion that there should be a per-name “tax” or “fee” paid by a SRSU registry. That would be completely unjustifiable.

--MM

*From:* owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx
*Sent:* Friday, July 02, 2010 3:53 AM
*To:* roberto@xxxxxxxxx; Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

Dear all,

I have always been a supporter of the SRSU model in its simplest form and I still find it very easy to define.

*With the risk of repeating myself all over again I offer you my view of the circumstances. * 1) No name selling to third parties, registry is the only registrant and controls the names completely.

*Example:* To replace brand.com with .brand TLD

2) TLD is non-transferrable (if the business dies, TLD is taken down in a controlled fashion) 3) There could be a limit to number of names if that makes it more acceptable to some, but my sense is that it doesn’t really matter as the names are private anyway 4) I could even live with normal fees attached to every name SRSU TLD registers

*If an SRSU TLD fails to comply with any of the above:
* 1) An amendment to registry agreement would have to be negotiated with ICANN
2) Normal VI rules would start to apply

*For those of you that think that closed TLDs won’t promote open innovation in internet I have a couple of positive implications. * 1) Full Vertical integration doesn’t risk consumer protection because no names are sold
2) Consumers could have tangible benefits with .brand TLDs.

*Example:* a brand could educate that all their legimite web pages end with .brand. This would work extremely well with an entity like Red Cross, which is struggling with all the scam donation sites every time there’s a major catastrophy. Internet users would know that it is genuine Red Cross site, if the name ends with .redcross.

BR,

-jr

On 1.7.2010 21.39, "ext Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The theme is the following:
Under which circumstances would people feel safe in allowing vertical integration for a TLD that has a single registry and a single user (the typical case being a "brand" TLD, for internal use only)?

Let me start.

* There should not be "sales" of SLDs, the names under the TLD are
      distributed internally based on declared criteria.
    * There is no "secondary market", i.e. a name cannot be "passed"
      to another beneficiary. Actually, the name remains always under
      full control of the registry.

The point is that if a registry does fulfill these requirements, they will be granted an exception, and will be allowed to operate without giving equal access to all registrars.

There might be interesting questions, like:

* Will they be allowed to use the services of one registrar,
      selected by them, or not?

Cheers,
Roberto

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
66482 Zweibrücken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede 
Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist 
unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per 
E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

--------------------------------------------

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
DE-66482 Zweibruecken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is 
addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this 
email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an 
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the 
author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy