ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:51:56 +0200

Actually, Jeff, currently a registrar could actually sell domain names in a TLD it is not accredited in by becoming a reseller of another registrar that is accredited for that TLD.

However, this could also be prohibited and monitored by requiring a reseller tag (similar to what Nominet has implemented) in the whois and contractually obligating all parties (RSP, registry and registrar) (a) not to sell or resell domain names in the TLD unless directly to an accredited registrar (for the registry), and (b) to contractually bind their affiliated companies to enter into a similar agreement with ICANN.

Volker

I also like the idea of exploring exceptions including the SRSU model as described below, but I have a more fundamental question on these exceptions.

Why is there no question or discussion on compliance abilities with regard to SRSU or other exceptions but arms start flying when other types of co-ownership are brought up? When I look at the idea of a Registry being able to own a Registrar but not be able to sell the TLD it owns it is actually simple to monitor, since the Registrar and affiliates could not be accredited in that TLD. If it is not accredited it cannot register any names. With mandatory thick whois, the Registrar of record is displayed. All very easy to monitor.

The SRSU model (which I said is worth exploring) has an incredible number of moving parts that need to be monitored and by many estimates there are expected to be over 200 .brand TLDs, yet the compliance issues and harms are not brought up.

What is it about .brand SRSU TLDs that make it easier to monitor and protect than another TLD that allows cross-ownership?

Thanks

Jeff Eckhaus