ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:34:14 -0700

The statements below may be partially true but they are incomplete.

1.     The Resolution, as it stands now,  does allow beneficial ownership of
registries by registrars;  and
(It allows 2% beneficial ownership, this is not ownership)

2.     It's up to us to recommend policy.  If we like the like the Beneficial
Ownership language in the DAG we should feel free to incorporate it in our
proposals.    I do like it.    If incorporated in our proposals it allows
registrars to own registries -- but places a limit on control and influence of
that registry.
(Again, this only allows 2% beneficial ownership)

I understand what you're saying.  Given the profile of this issue over the last
year I'll be very surprised if the Board/ Staff didn't carefully review the
details of the Nairobi resolution - however I agree with you that we don't know
this for a fact.

Here are two things we do know though:

1.     The Resolution, as it stands now,  does allow beneficial ownership of
registries by registrars;  and

2.     It's up to us to recommend policy.  If we like the like the Beneficial
Ownership language in the DAG we should feel free to incorporate it in our
proposals.    I do like it.    If incorporated in our proposals it allows
registrars to own registries -- but places a limit on control and influence of
that registry.

RT